Thursday, February 7, 2008

Drogue off of bow

Interesting thread:

I have often read, including on the Jordan series drogue website, that such a drogue is not suitable for bow deployment. I am not sure why, and don't believe I've read a good explanation why, but I accept it. I also accept two other things: 1) that the most comfortable position, at least in the early and mid stages of any storm, is hove to, and 2) Jordan designed his drogue primarily to help you survive big breaking waves. Oh, and a third, entirely personal, is 3) running off is frantic, exhausting and things break. So... as conditions worsen, you heave to. Conditions further deteriorate. You rig your series drogue normally at the stern, but lead it forward and with the help of a bridle you deploy it from the bow. Unless I'm wrong, it would stabilize and slow the motion of your boat, while not having the same drag resistance as a para-anchor. Conditions worsen, with the possibility of breaking seas. You release your bow bridle, the boat swings around and you are riding normally with the drogue off the stern. Does this make sense to you? Is it simply wasted effort to lead the drogue off the bow? Will I really be more comfortable if I remain pointed into the wind for as long as possible? Will the shortcomings of a series drogue as a sea anchor become apparent in earlier stages of a storm?

http://ssca.org/DiscBoard/viewtopic.php?t=214

No comments: